Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Kodacrome&Ektacrome: What is the diffrence?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Shutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 24th, 2003
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    What is the difference between Kodachrome and Ektachrome?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Supa-eight's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2001
    Posts
    30
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would say grain mostly. They each use a different processing technique. Kodachrome uses a 3 dye process which masks grain better than traditional E-6 processed films. K40 is also finer grained in super 8 mostly due to its slow asa speed. In my experience I feel Ektachrome is pretty crappy unless your going for a grainy feel. I also think its resolution is a little soft compared to some nicely exposed Kodachrome in my past experiences.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The only thing Ektachrome has going for it is it's faster than K40, but what you're trading off is absolutely not worth it:

    It's grainier, less sharp, skintones look horrid, and overall it's too blue.
    Looks like crap.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Shutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 24th, 2003
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Does Ektachrome look blue even when you use a colour correction filter, like an 85?

  5. #5
    Inactive Member dharmabum1949's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 28th, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Its interesting that everyone I've talked to is so critical of ektachrome yet it costs so much more than kodachrome, does anyone know why that is? I bought some ekta a couple months ago for some cross-processing experimentation and was amazed that it cost as much as it did

  6. #6
    Inactive Member AkivaFilms's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2002
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm not by any means a pro, but I like Ektachrome. It is faster and granier, but if you get the right exposure and lighting, I think it looks great!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Greg Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2002
    Posts
    603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Shutter:Does Ektachrome look blue even when you use a colour correction filter, like an 85?</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    The blue, I think your refering to is what I would call Blue Bias. I usto shoot products with larger format cameras back in the 80;s Ektachrome was the film of choice large format product photography.

    The first thing we would do when getting a new box of film was run a test. Have the film developed and see if it needs any cc (color correction) adjustments. Ektachrome was famous for needing a little extra yellow added like a 0.5 Y

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The reason that it looks blue is because the filter in your camera is an 85A and Ektachrome is a B rated film. When you shoot it with an 85B it looks great.

    Good Luck

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •